Let me be your guide for your Kamakura Day Trip. We’ll do a little sightseeing, possibly an easy hike if you’re up for it. And if we’re lucky, we may even get a view of Mt. Fuji. Oh, and we’ll definitely get a view of the beach!
Hike around Japan’s first samurai capital.
Kamakura is a lovely beachside suburb
dotted with some of Japan’s most beautiful ancient shrines and temples.
It’s also home to the iconic Daibutsu, or “Big Buddha.”
|heritage tourism, history tourism; hiking tour; tombstone tourism; Kamakura tour|
#1 Fan Fave
Kamakura is a modern, upper middle class suburb of Tokyo, but from 1185 to 1333 this was the dē factō capital of Japan – and the seat of her first samurai government. The city is home to a myriad of shrines and temples, many of which date back to the 1300’s and earlier. You can take trains, buses, and taxis, but I think a leisurely hike through the mountains is a great way to get a feel for Kamakura’s appeal. Some call it “Tokyo’s Kyoto,” and its easy to see why.
Staying in Tokyo? Get out of the city for a day and explore Japan’s forgotten #samurai capital, Kamakura.Tweet
- Daibutsu (the Big Buddha)
Famous Big Buddha of Kamakura, built at Kotoku-in temple in 1252
- Hase-dera temple
Buddhist temple established in 686 with a seaside view that is still captivating 1,000 years later.
- Hōkoku-ji temple
Established in 1332, this complex is famous for its bamboo garden which brought a bit of Kyoto elegance to Japan’s “Wild East.”
- Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gu
Tutelary shrine of the Minamoto no Yoritomo, founder of samurai rule in Japan, and later the protector of Kamakura and eventually the entire samurai class
- Zeniarai Benten
Quirky shrine with a natural spring that became famous for “money washing”
- Visit the grave of Minamoto no Yoritomo, the founder of the Kamakura Shōgunate and Japan’s first great samurai government.
- Remains of Okura Goten, seat of government of the Kamakura Shōgunate
- On hot summer days, some times checking out the coastline from the air conditioned comfort of a 1920’s train is the best way to beat the heat.
- Try some local craft beer!
- Door to door pick and drop off
Starts at ¥65,000
(covers up to 5 people!)
You Might Also Like These Tours
- Don’t miss my Kawagoe Day Trip
- I also have some exciting Day Tours
- Wanna take a two or three day Excursion?
- Just need dinner, drinks, or karaoke? Try a night Out on the Town!
Choose Your Own Adventure
Have a to-do list for Japan but not sure how to implement it?
Let’s talk, I’m sure there’s a way to make most of it work!
Here’s a secret. All my tours are customized in one way or another. If you need a private tour or someone to make things smoother, or if you’re gathering contents and shooting video and need a fixer, I’m sure I can help out and get you sorted.